Message from Michael
My Commitment to My Clients
- To offer you a safe holding space within which you can grow
- To receive you with unconditional acceptance
- To help you accomplish your therapy goals as quickly as your process will safely allow
- To be truthful in all respects with you
- To provide you with homework to foster the between-session continuity of your work on your thread
Portland Counseling Services which I Provide
- Individual therapy sessions
- Classes, groups, workshops
- Sliding scale fee structure
- Complimentary consultation
Therapy / Counseling with an Integrated Approach
An Integrated Counseling Approach
Given the mind-body unity, I work with my clients from a holistic perspective which considers that the issues with which they are working typically affect the whole person (mind, emotions, body, and, if you allow, spirit).
Therefore my Portland counseling practice provides my clients with an integrated therapy approach which blends the variety of therapeutic modalities in which I have been trained.
Therapy Approaches Which Influence My Work
The primary counseling methods in which I have been trained, and which influence my work include the following:
- Somatic (body-oriented) - A body-oriented doorway to possible change which recognizes that our mental and emotional issues are mirrored in the body. Therefore the body has its place in working with our issues..
- Existential - An approach which encourages a mature reconciliation with the more difficult, yet inescapable, attributes of human existence which our issues too often evade..
- Spiritual (transpersonal)- An approach which explores the questions, issues, and challenges which we face as we try to integrate the spiritual dimension of existence with our human experience.
Other therapy modalities in which I have been trained include neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), Focusing, meditation / mindfulness, and hypnotherapy.
My counseling approach generally integrates these different ways of working with clients. However, it's not uncommon that prospective clients may seek me out for work in only one way, i.e. transpersonal.
Note that I have organized my website (see above menu) to provide you with an in-depth discussion of these influences, should you be interested in further information.
Types of Changes My Counseling Clients Seek
The types of changes which my clients typically bring to therapy typically include problems in functioning and in relating to themselves and others.
Also clients often work with me to help them find personal meaning in their lives. Others simply want to find themselves, or become more authentic. I also guide clients to discover their own personal spirituality, and deepen their own spiritual realization. Of course, results may vary from client to client.by Michael Nagel MA