Spiritual Direction – Portland OR
Spiritual Direction – A Non-Sectarian Approach
Spiritual direction encourages you to personally explore your relation to the Mystery in which you live and move and have your being. Different spiritual traditions give different names to the Mystery such as True Nature, Being, and God.
However you label the Mystery, the label is only a word symbol. The symbol points to the underlying, living experience which transcends word and doctrine, and it is not the Mystery, just as a finger pointing at the moon is not the moon.
Typically spiritual directors practice spiritual direction within the context of Christianity. My approach to spiritual direction differs in that it is non-sectarian. In my Portland practice I work with clients of all faiths and all inclination including atheists and agnostics.
As a spiritual director, I offer you an unconditionally supportive, non-sectarian environment in which you can safely explore and develop your relation to the Mystery.
Spiritual Direction Addresses Many Concerns Including:
- Deepening your experience of True Nature / Being / God
- Learning spiritual practices such as meditation and presence
- Exploring the difference between being “religious” and being “spiritual”
- Exploring spirituality and spiritual options
- Shifting spiritual authority from without to within
- Deepening your understanding of spirituality
- Integrating your spirituality and practice into your daily life
- Discerning and making difficult life choices
- Sharing your hopes, struggles, and losses
- Surviving a crisis of faith
- The real spiritual director is the Mystery within you
Spiritual Direction and My Practice
- Typically I guide clients in this manner, because they have sought me out solely for the purpose of spiritual direction.
- Spiritual direction sessions are given in person, by phone, or by Skype, FaceTime, etc.
- Sometimes the classes or workshops I offer may be relevant to persons seeking spiritual direction.
- See classes and workshops which I give in Portland, and are listed on the above “Events” menu selection.
Interested in events about spiritual topics?
Using the button below, you can subscribe to email notices of my classes and workshops in Portland.
My Background as a Spiritual Director
In addition to being a counselor, I have more than 40 years of experience with diverse spiritual practices. I have studied Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, esoteric, Taoist, Sufi, Advaita, non-dualism, the Diamond Approach, and other contemporary teachers and practices.
I consider the teachings of these different traditions to be sourced in truth. Yet they are only verbal metaphors which point to a wordless experience of True Nature. The teachings are like fingers pointing to the moon. They are not the moon.
As a spiritual director, I am uninterested in your becoming a believer or follower of any doctrine or any person. The spiritual Greats did not leave their teachings to gather believers. Instead they sought to develop knowers of the Mystery.
In the West, Christianity has encouraged the view that belief is the path to after-life heavenly reward. In the East, they have taught that personally knowing True Nature is possible here, and now. My spiritual direction seeks to promote that knowing in my clients.
Other Transpersonal Topics on My Website
Also you may want to use these following links to explore these other transpersonal topics on my website: Portland transpersonal counseling, Portland meditation training, Portland nondual coaching, and presence. If you are interested in some recommendations for books to read about spiritual matters, see: Resources
Explore Spiritual Direction with a Free Consultation
If you are considering spiritual direction with me, feel welcome to meet with me in my NE Portland office for a 50-minute complimentary consultation wherein you can share your interest in spiritual direction, and explore the “chemistry” of our possibly working together. To arrange a consultation online now, just use the “Consultation” button below.